With the Waiheke Olive Festival now only a few weeks away, we wanted to share with you more information about the seminars and what you can learn – see below! You can also find out all about the music line up.
The Olive Festival has become of one Waiheke’s iconic events with an eclectic collection of Waiheke artisans brought together for a weekend of festivities. An old fashion fair with colourful characters, interesting talks, tastes to savour and delight, wine to sip while you relax on the lawn and listen to live music… don’t delay buy tickets online here.
Seminars – both days
11:00am: The Tree
- A friendly stroll through the olive grove at Rangihoua Estate.
- Discover more about growing these beautiful, ancient and mythical plants.
- Learn what varieties to plant for your specific location, how to plant, train and prune, the nutritional needs of the trees and harvesting.
- Hosted by John Edwards of Matiatia Grove and Grahame Taylor of Number 29
11:45am: OLIVES – What Next – Table Olives or Oil?
- What to do with your olive harvest?
- Everything you need to know about preserving eating olives
- Plus some tips if you’d like to learn more about producing one of life’s elixirs – Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- Hosted by Margaret Edwards of Matiatia Grove.
12:15pm: The Mediterranean Diet – health benefits of NZ EVOO
- What is a healthy oil?
- What are the health benefits of Extra Virgin Olive Oil?
- The importance of including high quality Extra Virgin Olive Oil in your diet.
- Does New Zealand Extra Virgin Olive Oil meet the healthy oil criteria?
- Hosted by Dr Laurence Eyres
Bio on Speakers
Dr. Laurence Eyres runs his own consultancy business specialising in oils and fats and related lipids. He has a special interest in olive oil. Laurence has had a varied career in the Food Industry and has also held roles as Director and Associate Professor of Food Technology and Agribusiness at Massey University and Business Development Director Food and Nutrition at Auckland University.
Laurence is a recently retired board Director of FSANZ. He holds advisory roles with the NZ Nutrition Foundation and the NZ Heart Foundation and is Chairman of the NZIC Oils and Fats specialist group.
Margaret Edwards As New Zealand’s only international olive oil judge, Margaret judges regularly in the USA, Australia and Japan. She is a consultant to the olive industry, runs olive oil workshops and lectures nationally and internationally about New Zealand extra virgin olive oil.
Margaret and her husband grow and process olives on Waiheke Island for their award-winning extra virgin olive oil.