This fun and exciting event is being held on the 23rd and 24th November 2013 at the Rangihoua Estate from 11am – 5pm.
The Waiheke Olive Festival is definitely one to put in your calendar as it is suitable for all members of the family.
Featuring live music, a selection of food stalls, seminars, wine & beverages and the chance to taste & buy some of the best extra virgin olive oil in the world.
The Rangihoua Estate is a stunning venue that is surrounded by beautiful gardens and views of the neighbouring olive groves. The site is home to award winning Rangihoua Olive Oil and boasts a variety of oils that have been created on site. The Frantoio Room, a timbered olive oil tasting room, opens out onto the vast lawns, perfect for drifting through when you need some shade from the sun.
The venue is tucked away in a sheltered north facing garden with olive trees creeping up the hillside. Remember Waiheke Island is a weather microcosm all of its own and therefore if the forecast is predicting showers particularly from the west or south-west, the likelihood of them reaching Waiheke is minimal.
- Tastings of some of the best Waiheke 2013 Extra Virgin Olive Oils
- Educational Seminars daily by Industry Experts from 11.30am
- Artisan food producer stalls selling delicious treats
- Waiheke Wines and other refreshments available
- Live Music while you relax on the lawn from 1pm to 5pm
- Saturday – Burrell boys, Kantuta
- Sunday – Mojo Rosers, Radio Rebelde
Bio on Bands
Kantuta is NZ’s top latin dance band, achieving both gold and platinum records. KANTUTA will be an eight piece group accompanied by 2 professional costumed Latin Dancers, playing latin music from cool bossa nova, to bolero and salsa to popular latin dance classics, songs in Spanish and English.
Burrel Boys – The Burrell Boys are a covers band playing a range of styles including country rock, blues, ballads and some originals by singer-songwriters Pat Urlich and George Gardner.Pat and George have been singing together for more than ten years and their tuneful harmonies and energetic presence are always a crowd pleaser.
The Mojo Risers play wild and live acoustic blues and rock. With over 45 years of playing experience between them, Aaron Carpenter and Neal Ghoshal regularly raise the roof during their gigs. With recording artist, singer and songwriter Kiri Eriwata, they are even better!
Radio Rebelde is a “latinska” band made up of 8 musicians (all Waiheke residents yet originally from countries as diverse as Columbia, Argentina, France, England, Australia and NZ)
11:30am (both days): NZ Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Your Health – The Facts
- What is healthy oil?
- What are the health benefits of extra virgin olive oil?
- The importance of including high quality extra virgin olive oil in your diet.
- Does NZ extra virgin olive oil meet the healthy oil criteria?
- By Dr Laurence Eyres
12:30pm (both days): Olive Oil – Dispelling the Myths
- All you need to know about buying, tasting, using and storing extra virgin olive oil
- By Margaret Edwards
Bio on Speakers
Dr. Laurence Eyres runs his own consultancy business specialising in oils and fats and related lipids. He has a special interest in olive oil. Laurence has had a varied career in the Food Industry and has also held roles as Director and Associate Professor of Food Technology and Agribusiness at Massey University and Business Development Director Food and Nutrition at Auckland University.
Laurence is a recently retired board Director of FSANZ. He holds advisory roles with the NZ Nutrition Foundation and the NZ Heart Foundation and is Chairman of the NZIC Oils and Fats specialist group.
Margaret Edwards As New Zealand’s only international olive oil judge, Margaret judges regularly in the USA, Australia and Japan. She is a consultant to the olive industry, runs olive oil workshops and lectures nationally and internationally about New Zealand extra virgin olive oil.
Margaret and her husband grow and process olives on Waiheke Island for their award-winning extra virgin olive oil.
Artisan Food Producers
- Dragon Fire Pizza
- Flamin Burger Food Cart – specializing in Gourmet Homemade Burgers using Wild, Free
- Range and Organic Meats all served in our home baked buns”
- Pasta Mia
- Waiheke Herb Spread Platters
- Revolution – locally organically grown fruit and vegetables delicious juices and raw food products.
- Rubys Coffee Co – freshly roasted ‘Island Coffee’ and delicious pastry treats from Ringawera
- Waiheke Wines featuring Kennedy Point and Woodside Hill
- Range of Beer
Olive Skincare and Bodycare
The Simunovic range will be available to try and buy. On the Saturday representatives from the Simunovic range will be there with professional advice and assistance.
Featured Olive Producers
- Kennedy Point
- Number 29
- Matiatia Grove
- Rangihoua Estate
For more information and tickets visit: www.waihekeolivefestival.co.nz